Originated in Naples Italy, spaghetti aglio olio is so simple and easy to make but yet so delicious and tasty. Spaghetti Aglio Olio e Peperoncini translated in english is “Spaghetti Garlic, Oil and Chili Pepper”.
If you are a pasta lover you will love this dish.This pasta dish needs no introduction to Italians it’s stapled in their food culture as a fast easy to make pasta dish especially on family gatherings. Simply sauté garlic in oil and toss it in spaghetti, mix it with fresh parsley, garnish it with parmesan or pecorino cheese and it’s ready..
People like to add ingredients to this dish such as shrimp, salmon, and Italian sausage. Spaghetti Aglio e Olio can be served as a side dish (small quantity next to fish or meats), fast on the go lunch at home, or even as a midnight meal at parties. We asked Maria from Italy to show us how they make this traditional pasta dish in Italy..
Spaghetti Aglio & Olio (How To Video)
How To Make Spaghetti Aglio E Olio
1. Cut the two garlic cloves in half and remove the inner core of the garlic called “germ”. Then chop them into small little pieces. As garlic ages the green germ in it’s inner core becomes larger and sometimes can have an unpleasant bitter strong taste. It is best to remove it.
2. Add the olive oil and chopped garlic in a pan and start cooking on low heat, the garlic should be sizzling. When the garlic starts to turn golden in color add the chili peppers or chili flakes and cook for another minute or two and set aside..
3. Time to cook the spaghetti. Start by boiling water in a large pot, for 450g of spaghetti you will need at least 4 liters of water. When the water starts boiling add a tablespoon of salt, then add the spaghetti. Stir the spaghetti in the boiling water every 2 to 3 minutes so they don’t stick together..
4. After 9-10 minutes the spaghetti should be cooked however it is always best to taste the spaghetti if they are to your liking before draining them.. Spaghetti when cooked is a pasta that should be “Al-dente” meaning a little firm when bitten.
5. When the spaghetti is cooked drain the water in a colander and immediately toss them in the pan with the oil, garlic, and chili peppers. Add the fresh parsley and give it a good mix with a kitchen tong, then add salt to taste.
6. Now the spaghetti Aglio e Olio is ready to be plated.. Garnish with grated parmesan cheese or pecorino cheese and enjoy!
Cookware Needed For This Recipe
Pot to Boil The Spaghetti
Ingredients For This Recipe
2 Garlic Cloves Finely Chopped
Fresh Chili Peppers Finely Chopped Or Chili Flakes
Fresh Parsley Chopped
1 Box (450g) Spaghetti
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt As Needed To Taste