Different from the classic modern day version of Lasagna, this lasagna recipe originated in Italy in the city of Naples during the Middle Ages. Traditionally this is how they made lasagna and many people in Italy still make it this way, It’s called “Lasagna Al Forno”..
This recipe consists of making your own homemade lasagna then layering it with bechamel and ragu sauce. The lasagna is then oven baked slowly in a round pot or rectangular pan thus making the flavors cook and blend together.. Much more superior in taste than the classic “lasagne” dish..
Lasagna Al Forno Recipe (How To Video)
How To Make This Lasagna Al Forno Dish
1. Start by preparing the dough for the fresh pasta (Lasagna) sheets.. Put the flour on a clean surface and shape it into a volcano.. Then add 3 eggs in the middle.
2. Then mix and knead with your hands for 10 minutes until it becomes dough and form it into a ball. Cover with a tablecloth and let rest for 30 minutes.
4. With a dough roller, roll the dough into thin pasta sheets and set aside for later..
5. Making the lasagna sauce.. Chop the onion, carrots, and celery into small pieces and set aside then put the peeled tomatoes in a blender and mix until it becomes a chunky tomato sauce.
6. Add 4 tablespoons of olive oil in a saute pan on high heat and start frying the chopped onions, carrots and celery for about a minute then add the ground meat and finally the tomato sauce.. Stir until it starts boiling. As soon as it starts boiling put on low heat with a lid and let cook for 2 hours.
7. Making The Bechamel: In a saucepan on medium heat add the butter until melted, then the flour and stir with a whisk until the flour is blended with the butter.. Now add the milk, nutmeg and keep on stirring vigorously until the texture is creamy then set aside.
8. Layering the Lasagna: Bring a large pot with water (3/4 full) to a boil and cook the fresh pasta sheets you made for two minutes.. Once cooked drain the pasta in a colander..
9. Add a small layer of bechamel sauce at the bottom of the pan spread it out evenly and add a layer of ragu (tomato) sauce on top..
10. Then add a lasagna pasta sheet on top..
11. Repeat the process until you reach desired amount of layers.. Make sure one layer in between the lasagna and the top layer includes shredded mozzarella and grated parmisan cheese with the bechamel and ragu sauce..
12. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes at 350 degrees F or until top is golden brown.. Enjoy this great Lasagna dish!
Cookware Needed For This Recipe
Ceramic Baking Pan Or Pot
Ingredients For The Lasagna Sheets
Pinch Of Salt
Ingredients For The Lasagna Sauce
Minced Veal & Pork (300gr)
Canned Peeled Tomatoes (800g)
Chopped Carrots (50g)
Chopped Celery (50g)
Chopped Onions (50g)
Olive Oil (4 Tbsp)
Grated Parmigiano (150g)
Ingredients For The Bechamel
Pinch of Nutmeg
You May Also Like: History Of The Lasagna Dish