This soup is absolutely delicious and easy to make.. Hits the spot especially on those cold winter days. Italians usually serve this soup as an appetizer in a small bowl before the main entree. Best accompanied by toasted bread or garlic bread.
Note: Add the tortellini’s at the very end and let them cook with the soup for 5-8 minutes, you want them al dente (a little soft but not too soft). If you want to substitute the sausage a good alternative can be beef, vegetables or even potatoes cut in small pieces..
How To Make This Tortellini Soup
1. Place a large saucepan on medium and add one tablespoon of olive oil. Then add the Italian sausage (cut in small pieces) and cook for about 5 minutes until browned.
2. Once the meat is browned remove from the saucepan and place into a bowl and set aside.. Then place the saucepan back on the stove on medium heat and add another table spoon of olive oil.
3. Then add the onions and carrots and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes, slowly stir the garlic in the saucepan with the carrots and onions and stir for another minute..
4. Pour the chicken broth, canned tomatoes and sausage into the saucepan and stir slowly to combine and blend all the ingredients. Allow the soup to come to a simmer (lightly bubbling). Reduce the heat to low and simmer the soup for 25 minutes.
5. Into the simmering soup add the cheese tortellini and spinach. Mix the ingredients well using a wooden spoon then allow the tortellini to cook for 8 minutes.
6. Taste the soup before serving, add salt and black pepper to your liking. Serve the Italian sausage tortellini soup topped with freshly grated parmesan cheese. Enjoy this great hearty soup!
Cookware Needed For This Recipe
2 Mixing Bowls
Large Sauce Saute Pan
Wood Spoon Stir
Ingredients For This Recipe (4 Servings)
1/2 Cup Onion Finely Chopped
1/2 Cup Of Chopped Carrots
2 Cloves Of Garlic Finely Chopped
2 Tbsp Of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 Italian Sausages Cut In Small Pieces (Mild Or Hot)
4 Cups Of Chicken Broth
2 Cups Canned Tomato Sauce
1 Cup Of Diced Tomatoes Canned
Dash Of Italian Spices
8 Ounces Of Cheese Tortellini (Or Read Label Enough For 4 People)
1/2 Cup of Spinach
Salt and Pepper To Taste