One of my favorite pasta dishes.. Invented during the time of World War II in Naples Italy. Puttanesca is a very popular dish in Italy however there are many versions or modifications of the sauce..The sauce in this post is straight from Naples where my parents came from and still today my mom makes it the same way they used to make it traditionally years ago.
Has a mediterranean bold taste that is satisfying to the palette. Accompanied with red wine makes the dish even more enjoyable. Best served at dinner time as a main course meal.
How To Make Spaghetti Puttanesca Sauce:
1. Pour three table spoons of extra virgin olive oil in a pan, heat up the oil then add a chopped clove of garlic with about 4 fresh basil leaves chopped.. While sautéing the garlic and basil add 1 cup of canned tomato sauce or homemade tomato sauce.
2. Then add 5 to 8 chopped or whole Kalamata olives with a teaspoon of capers, 1/2 cup of sliced cherry tomatoes and 4 anchovies into the sauce while cooking. Don’t worry about the anchovies they will dissolve in the sauce.
3. Finally, pour a touch of red wine (15ml) with a pinch of salt to taste into the sauce and stir slowly with a wooden spoon stir. After about 5 minutes leave sauce on low and start cooking the spaghetti.
Cook The Spaghetti
4. Bring water to a boil in a pot and toss the spaghetti in for about 10 minutes, then taste spaghetti until desired texture Spaghetti should be “al dente” meaning a little firm when bitten not soft and mushy. Once the spaghetti is done pour it in a colander to drain the water.
5. Then pour the desired amount of spaghetti in the pan with the Puttanesca sauce and mix it with a tong. Your Puttanesca dish is ready to be plated!
6. Place the spaghetti puttanesca in the middle of a plate.. For the final touch, rub a piece of lemon around the edges of the plate and drizzle some dry basil spice, the basil will stick to the edges of the plate making it look pretty. Add parmesan on the spaghetti if desired. Buon Appetito!
Cookware Needed For This Recipe
Medium Size Non Stick Pan
Wood Stir Spoon
Ingredients For This Recipe
Teaspoon of capers
Spaghetti 200g (Serving for two)
Kalamata Pitted Olives
3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
Fresh Basil (about four leafs)
1 Clove Of Garlic
3 Or 4 Anchovies
1 Cup Of Canned Tomato Sauce Or Homemade Tomato Sauce
1/2 Cup Of Sliced Cherry Tomatoes (Cut in Halves)
You May Also Like:
* Spaghetti Puttanesca Recipe By Italian Culinary Chef (How To Video)
* History Of Spaghetti Puttanesca Dish