Linguine “Alle Vongole Intere” in english means Linguine With Whole Clams. It’s a very popular Italian dish served in restaurants. Many Italian restaurants serve this iconic dish with unshelled clams however the real authentic linguine “Alle Vongole” dish is with fresh shelled clams which tend to be served in higher class restaurants.
The recipe is simple and easy to make but yet the dish is so delicious and packed with flavor.. The combination of white wine, garlic and clam juice is just the perfect mix.. Pasta choice is linguine because they tend to absorb liquids more than other kinds of pasta however many people use spaghetti which is a great choice too.
Linguine Alle Vongole Recipe (How To Video)
Linguine Alle Vongole Recipe Instructions
1. Start off by washing the clams, place them in a bowl filled with fresh water for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes take the clams out with your hands (do not drain) and rinse them. This will be enough to take out the sand and ocean debris from the clams. Place the clams back in the bowl with no water and leave them for later.
2. Bring water to a boil in a pot and add a tablespoon of salt, then add the spaghetti or linguine. After 10 minutes taste the spaghetti if they are done to your liking. Spaghetti should be cooked “al dente” meaning still firm but not too soft.
3. When the pasta is done drain in a colander, add a tablespoon of olive oil and gently mix the spaghetti in the colander with a tong to spread the olive oil without breaking them. This will prevent the pasta from sticking together while you are making the sauce.. Time to make the sauce.
4. Put 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan, place on medium heat. Add the chopped garlic, when the garlic starts to sizzle add 1/2 cup of white wine, then add the clams.. Bring up the heat then add 1/2 a cup of chopped parsley and 1/2 chili pepper sliced in small pieces or chili flakes and cover with a lid for about 2 minutes..
5. When the clams open the sauce is ready and clams are cooked. Take out the lid from the pan and shake the pan blending all ingredients with the clams.. DO NOT overcook the clams.
6. Add desired quantity of pasta in the pan and gently mix with tong letting the pasta absorb the sauce.. Taste to add salt. Then serve. Enjoy this elegant tasty dish..
Cookware Needed For This Recipe:
– Large Saute Saucepan
– Kitchen Tong
– Boiling Pot
Ingredients For 3 To 5 People:
– Spaghetti Or Linguini (250g)
– 20 To 30 Fresh Clams From the Market Or Grocery Store
Note: Make sure when you buy the clams they are closed not opened or chipped.
– 1/2 Fresh Chili Pepper Or Chili Flakes
– 3 Tbsp Of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
– 1/2 Cup of Fresh Parsley Chopped
– 1/2 Cup Of White Wine
– 2 Garlic Cloves Finely Chopped
– Salt To Taste