Soft, salty, & downright yummy, pretzels a well-known snack in the whole of the United States, considered as a standard at movie theaters & sports stadiums, people often like to eat pretzels with thick, yellow cheese or mustard dip.
The actual roots of this delicious treat is from Southern Germany where the Falafel history is quite rich, their serving varieties are seemingly awesome, and the traditions of pretzels are deeply ingrained in their culture & cuisine.
Homemade Pretzels Recipe (How To Video)
How To Make Pretzels At Home
1. Pour 1 and 1/2 cups of lukewarm water in a bowl and add 1.5 Tbsp of instant yeast, mix it and let sit aside for 10 minutes.
2. Add 4 cups of all purpose flour in another bowl, then add 2 pinches of salt, malt powder and mix. Now add the yeast into the bowl of flour and mix again until it’s starts forming into a dough.
3. Once it forms into a dough texture start kneading with your hand. After kneading the pretzel dough for a couple of minutes add 1.5 Tbsp of soft butter and need again until dough texture is smooth.
4. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and set aside for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes cut the dough through the center to make 4 dough balls, then cut each piece again to make a total of 8 dough balls. Enough to make 8 pretzels.
5. Roll each ball into small cylinder shapes, cover with a tablecloth and let rest for another 5 minutes.
6. After 5 minutes it’s time to shape each dough cylinder into a pretzel shape.. Place the dough on a clean surface, roll it into a longer cylinder leaving the middle thicker than the ends. Then take both ends and twirl it then place them on the top of the dough. (See pics below or watch video for this.)
7. Now you made the pretzel shapes you are almost done.. Place the pretzels in a baking sheet, cover it with plastic wrap and let it rest for 30 minutes at room temperature then refrigerate for 1 hour.
8. After 1 hour take out the pretzels from the fridge.. Pour 4 cups of water in a bowl, add 60g of baking soda and mix with a whisk.
9. Dip each pretzel in it and place them in a baking pan, then make a cut on the thick part of the pretzels but not all the way through. (See Pic Below)
10. Sprinkle the pretzels with coarse salt and bake at 425 degrees F for 15-20 minutes. Check after 15 minutes. Hope you enjoy this great treat!
You May Also Like: The History & Origins Of Pretzels