Fun Facts: The first recipe for fried Onion Rings was a Crisco ad in the year 1933 and it was published in the New York Times Magazine. A&W is credited with popularizing the fried onion rings in the fast food industry, introducing it to its food menu in the 1960s.
Crispy Onion Rings Recipe (How To Video)
Step By Step Instructions
When biting into a delicious onion ring, you want to get a sweet & bright onion flavor. To achieve this kind of unique flavor, you will probably need to start by soaking the fresh onion slices in the cold water. Allow the onion rings to chill in the water for about 10 minutes. Dry them off fully before beginning to batter the onions.
1. Discard the brown shell from the onion then cut the onion into slices (1/4 inch thick).. With your two thumbs separate the onion rings by pushing through the middle of the sliced onions.
2. In a mixing bowl add 3/4 cup of all purpose flour, 1/4 cup of corn starch, cayenne pepper, salt, ground black pepper and mix..
3. Once ingredients are mixed add 1 cup of sparkling water slowly.. Add the sparkling water a bit at a time while stirring and mixing until lumps are gone..
4. In another mixing bowl add 1 cup of Panko Bread Crumbs and set it aside next to the bowl with the onion rings batter.
5. Pour vegetable oil in a frying pan (half full) over high heat.. Once the oil is hot you can start deep frying your onion rings.
6. Dip your onion rings first in the batter.. Then dip them in the bread crumbs and fry them in the oil until golden brown. Once they are crispy and golden brown place the onions rings on a scott towel to drain the excess oil. Enjoy them with ketchup, mayo or whatever dip you desire.
Cookware Needed For This Recipe
Ingredients For The Onion Rings & Batter
1 Large Onion Sliced Into 1/4 Inch Pieces
3/4 Cups Of All Purpose Flour
1/4 Cup Of Corn Starch
Cayenne Pepper (1/2 Tsp)
Pinch Of Salt
Pinch Of Black Pepper
1 Cup Of Cold Sparkling Water
Vegetable Oil To Deep Fry
1 Cup Of Panko Bread Crumbs