The gnocchi’s at your grocery store don’t even come close to fresh homemade gnocchi’s done at home. I can bet you that anybody who tasted fresh homemade gnocchi will tell you the same.This video will show you in detail how exactly we make gnocchi in Italy…
Every region in Italy has their own variation of potato Gnocchi however this recipe is the most popular. I usually make extra gnocchi’s, put them in a freezer bag and freeze them.. Gnocchi’s can be frozen up to 3 weeks. Just make sure you freeze them in a sealable bag uncooked.
Homemade Gnocchi With Potato Recipe (How To Video)
Step By Step Instructions
1. Bring potatoes to a boil in a saucepan, after 20 minutes keep checking the potatoes if they are cooked with a fork.. When the fork sinks easily through the center of the potatoe(s) they are done.. Drain water and set aside to cool down to room temperature..
2. Pour the flour on a clean surface and shape it in the form of a volcano.. Then with a handheld potato masher mash the potatoes in the center of the flour.
3. With your hands start mixing the mashed potatoes and the flour until it forms into clumps of dough then add 1 beat egg, a pinch of salt and knead until it forms into a ball of dough. Add a sprinkle of flour if needed and continue kneading.. Do not knead too much.
4. After Kneading, form the dough into a ball and let rest for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes cut a piece of the dough to start making the gnocchi.
5. Roll each piece of dough into a long tubular snake like form about 1 inch thick..
6. Then cut each long roll into pieces 1 inch apart to form little knuckles of dough (gnocchi)..
7. Now take each gnocchi and roll it with your thumb on a pasta board to create a gnocchi shape. (I recommend to see video above for this step).
8. To cook the gnocchi’s bring water to a boil in a saucepan and toss them in.. When they float to the surface gnocchi’s are done.. Enjoy your gnocchi’s!
Cookware Needed For This Recipe
Gnocchi Pasta Board
Ingredients For This Recipe
6 Big Red Potatoes Or 1kg (With Yellow Interior).
“00” Flour (400g)