Variations of Borscht soup/stew have originated in both Ukraine and Russia, the red coloring in the soup is made by incorporating beets, one of it’s main ingredients. Throughout the years Borscht soups have been made without meat and fish however the traditional Russian borscht soup which is most popular is with beef shank and beets.
The dish is coined as one of the best soups in the world, it’s a hearty soup (some may call it a stew) with earthy savory flavors paired with a little sour cream that adds a sweet and sour creaminess to the palette..
Borscht Soup Recipe (How To Video)
How To Make Borscht Soup (Step By Step)
1. Put 1 beef shank in a large saucepan, add 2.5 liters of water and bring to a boil. After 5 to 7 minutes boiling take out the excess proteins that are foaming above the water. (See Pic Below)
2. Now add 50 grams of beans and put the lid over the saucepan, let rest for 1.5 hours on low heat.
3. Meanwhile in a frying pan on high heat add sunflower oil, chopped onions, chopped carrots, chopped boiled beets, salt, sugar, vinegar, meat broth and stir for about 1 minute to mix ingredients. Then put a lid on the frying pan and let settle for 15 minutes on low heat then set aside for later.
4. After 1.5 hours take out the beef shank from the saucepan, cut into 1 inch cubes and set aside.. Keep the broth cooking on low heat.. Add chopped potatoes into the broth with 3 bay leafs, 10 black peppercorns, chopped white cabbage, and finally the beef that you cut in cubes. Stir for about a minute.
5. Now add the sauteed vegetables from frying pan into the broth.. Toss in chopped garlic, 15 grams of fresh chopped parsley and dill and stir for about 1 minute until all ingredients are mixed well. Turn off the stove and let settle for 15 minutes to blend all flavors.
6. Congratulations! You have made a Russian Borscht Soup!.. When you plate the soup add 1 tablespoon of sour cream in the middle with a parsley leaf to decorate.. Enjoy!
Cookware Needed For This Recipe
Small Mixing Bowls
1 Beef Shank (800g)
Boiled Beets (400g)
Chopped Potatoes (250 ml).
White Cabbage (250g)
Spices & Herbs
Sunflower Oil (2 Tbsp)
Chopped Onions (150g)
Chopped Carrots (150g)
Salt (3 Tsp)
Sugar (1 Tbsp)
Tomato Paste (140g)
Vinegar (1 Tbsp)
Meat Broth (100 ml)
3 Bay Leafs
10 Black Peppercorns
3 Chopped Garlic Cloves
Chopped Parsley (15g)
Chopped Dill (15g)
Sour Cream (1 Tbsp)
Water (2.5 Liters)
One thought on “Hearty Russian Borscht Soup With Beets & Beef”
Top site ,.. amazaing post ! Just keep the work on !