Kibbeh actually originated in Lebanon and became a staple dish of middle eastern cuisine.. The croquette is a popular treat in Syria, Palestine, Jordan, Cyprus, Turkey and even Israel.
Vegetarian Kibbeh’s are just as popular as the beef Kibbeh’s which are made with potato, bulgur, walnuts, onion and sultanas.
During the early 19th century many immigrants migrated from middle eastern countries to south America bringing their food culture with them.
Kibbeh, also named “Kibe” or “Kibi” is made with ground beef and became a sensation in Brazil, they are now served in almost every street corner of San Paulo.
Kibbeh Recipe (How To Video)
How To Make This Kibbeh (Instructions)
1. First we will start off by making the outer shell of the kibbeh. Add the Bulgur with 1/4 cup of water in a mixing bowl, stir and let rest for 15 minutes..
2. Crush about 1/2 teaspoon of cumin seeds with a spice crusher and add it to the bulgur with 1/2 teaspoon of curry powder, 1 pinch of salt, and 1/2 chopped onions ..
3. Put the bulgur in a food processor for 1-2 minutes until the bulgur mix is fine and well mixed.. Then put the bulgur mix back in a bowl and add 7 ounces of ground beef then mix the meat in the bulgar with your hands.
4. Once it’s well mixed put a plastic wrap over the bowl and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
5. Making The Filling Of The Kibbeh: Pour vegetable oil in a frying pan on high heat add 1/2 chopped onions, 1/2 tsp of cumin, pinch of black pepper and 1 finely minced garlic. Cook and stir well for 1 minute.
6. Now add 1 tablespoon of pine nuts and oz of ground beef, cook for 10 minutes until the beef becomes brown.
7. After 10 minutes of frying sprinkle with dried mint spices and stir then put the filling in a bowl.. The filling is done time to make the kibbeh.
8. Take the bulgur mix from the fridge and put it next to the filling with another bowl of water. Dip you hands in the water, take a piece of the bulgur mix and shape into a football shape.
9. Pierce a hole with your finger at the top of the football shaped kibbeh (enough for two teaspoons of filling) and start to fill it up.
10. Close up the kibbeh and shape back into a football shape.. Deep fry until it’s dark brown in color, place on a scott towel in a plate to drain the excess oil and it’s ready to eat! Enjoy!
Cookware Needed For This Recipe
Wood Spatula To Stir
Deep Frying Pan
Ingredients For The Kibbeh Shell
Bulgur 7 Oz (Medium Fine)
1/4 Cup Of Water
Crushed Cumin Seeds (1/2 Tsp)
Curry Powder (1/2 Tsp)
Pinch Of Salt
1/2 Chopped Onion
7 oz Of Ground Beef
Ingredients For The Filling
Vegetable Oil (3 Tbsp)
1/2 Onion Chopped
Curry Powder (1/4 Tsp)
Cumin (1/2 Tsp)
Pine Nuts (1 Tbsp)
1 Garlic Clove Crushed
4oz Of Ground Beef
Dried Mint Spice (1/4 Tsp)