A Chinese spring roll comes down to the type of roll that it is. A garden spring roll, let’s say, will be filled with a variety of fresh veggies such as carrots, bamboo shoots, fresh bell pepper, & cabbage.
More varieties of savory spring rolls tend to be filled with meat or chicken with vegetables – most likely pork, chicken, or shrimp. In this recipe I made the most popular and basic spring roll dish which is the vegetarian spring roll that you see in some Asian restaurants..
They are delicious, juicy and crispy. Fry them until golden (about 7 to 10 minutes for that extra crispiness).
Vegetable Spring Rolls Recipe Video
Instructions On How To Make These Spring Rolls
1. Put half a cup of glass noodles in a mixing bowl and add hot water.. Let rest for about 15 minutes. Then strain the water from the noodles. Place the noodles on a cutting board and cut them into 4 or 5 sections then put them in a bowl to use later.
2. Slice the onions, carrots, carrots and all vegetables.. Add about 2 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan on medium high heat then add the garlic and onions.. Stir fry for about 2 to 3 minutes..
3. Now add the green chili, sliced carrots and continue to stir fry for about 1 minute.. Add 2 cups of cabbage and scallions. Stir fry for another minute.. Add the soy sauce, sugar with white pepper and a tablespoon of oyster sauce..
4. Filling is almost done.. Add salt to taste then add the glass noodles and continue stir frying..
5. Add 1 tablespoon of water in a small cup and add one teaspoon of cornflour in the water then mix it to create a milky texture.. Now add this mix in the frying pan and continue to stir fry for another minute. Remove the frying pan from the stove top and let it cool until room temperature.
6. In a small bowl mix 3 tablespoons of water with 2 tablespoons of flour and set aside. You will use this to glue the wrappers by dipping your finger in the flour mix and spreading it on the edges of the wrapper.
7. Place the spring roll sheet (wrapper) on a clean surface and put about a tablespoon of filling on it.. (see pic below)
8. Start rolling the wrapper from the bottom then fold the sides and continue to roll until you reach a closing point.. Then dip your finger in the flour mix and spread it on the edges of the wrapper to close the spring roll.
9. Once the spring rolls are made you can fry them right away or you can store them in the freezer to fry later on another day..
10. To fry the spring rolls add vegetable oil in a frying pan enough to cover half the spring rolls.. Fry them until golden on each side (about 7 to 10 minutes).. Enjoy!
Vegetable Spring Rolls Recipe Ingredients
Cookware Needed For This Recipe
Ingredients For Spring Rolls
Glass Noodles (1/2 Cup)
Sliced Onions (1/2 Cup)
Chopped Scallions (1/2 Cup)
Sliced Carrots (1/2 Cup)
Finely Cut Garlic (1 Tbsp)
Green Chili Peppers (1 Tsp)
Cabbage (2 Cups)
Light Soy Sauce (1Tbsp)
White Pepper (1/2 Tsp)
Sugar (1/2 Tsp)
Oyster Sauce (1 Tbsp)
Salt (1/2 Tsp)
Water (1 Tbsp)
Corn Flour (1 Tsp)
Flour (2 Tbsp)
Spring Roll (Wrappers/Sheets)