Coxinha is a well-known street food snack in the country of Brazil and is fun & economical food to make. Think of it as savory dough formed into a chicken drumstick with a delicious creamy chicken salad filling.
It is then battered & fried to golden, crispy perfection. They are extremely easy to eat on the go, and they are a meal unto themselves, they have a unique food appearance (simulated drumstick), and most essentially, they are deep-fried and delicious!
The Brazilian croquette is best served as a snack, appetizer, or even side dish.. They make a great satisfying treat especially on events like Birthday parties or just family gatherings..
Coxinha (Chicken Croquettes) Recipe Video & Ingredients
How To Make These Brazilian Chicken Croquettes
1. Let’s start by making the filling of the croquette.. Add 1 tbsp of butter in a frying pan on medium high heat.. Add the garlic with the onion, shredded chicken, season with basil, add paprika, a pinch of salt with a 1/4 cup of tomato sauce. Mix while frying until all ingredients are blended.
2. Once the filling is mixed well, remove from the frying pan and put the filling in a bowl.. add the cream cheese, fresh parsley and mix again then set aside for later.
3. Now you can start making the batter that surrounds the croquette: Put 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter in a frying pan on medium low heat. Add 1/2 cup of chicken broth, 2 cups of whole milk, 2 cups of all purpose flour.
4. Remove the batter from the frying pan when it starts forming into dough.. Knead the dough while it is warm, but not hot.
5. Once kneaded tear a small piece from the ball of dough and flatten it with your hands then place a tablespoon of filling in the middle or the amount you desire, then close the ball and create a conical shape.
6. When you finished shaping the croquette, dip it in the eggs.
7. After dipping into the eggs dip it in the panko bread crumbs covering it well, set aside on a clean surface. Continue steps 5,6,7 until your run out of dough. You should have about 15 to 20 croquettes made.
8. Set oil to 350% and deep fry until golden brown and cooked through. Enjoy this great Brazilian treat!