Chicken Shawarma is a staple street cuisine in Asia and the Middle East. Traditionally served as a chicken sandwich, Shawarma has also grown to become a well-known food dish in the United States.
So Yummy! This recipe is utterly delish! Tried it’s myself and it’s awesome. The combination of the chicken filling, the pita spread and the fresh pita is just perfect and insanely delicious!
You get that homemade fresh taste of the pita bread and juiciness of the chicken filling in every bite! A great dish to share with family and friends..
Chicken Shawarma & Pita Bread Recipe (How To Video)
How To Make Chicken Shawarma At Home
1. Let’s start off by making the pita bread.. In a mixing bowl add the flour, sugar, salt, yeast, 1 egg and mix the ingredients briefly with your hand then add lukewarm water and continue mixing with your hand until it forms into dough.
2. When the dough is formed add a tablespoon of oil and knead (in the same bowl) for about 5 minutes. After 5 minutes form it into a ball and coat it with a little oil always with your hands. Place the dough ball back into the bowl and plastic wrap. Set aside and let it rest for 1 hour.
3. Time to start the chicken shawarma filling.. Chop the chicken breast into cubes, then place them in a bowl add chili powder, ginger, crushed garlic, coriander, salt, black pepper, curd and mix well then let marinate for 15 minutes.
4. After 15 minutes add oil to a frying pan on medium heat and fry the marinated chicken until golden brown. Set aside to fill the pita bread later.
5. Take the pita dough that you set aside, you will notice that it has levitated.. Punch through it and knead for about 2 minutes then tear off 4 pieces to make four balls of dough.
6. With your hands flatten each dough ball and place one at a time on a lightly floured surface.. Roll each ball with a rolling pin until it’s the size of a pita..
7. Then place in a frying pan on low heat without oil and cook both sides of the pita until golden brown.
8. Once the pita is cooked place on a cutting board or any clean surface.
9. In a small bowl.. Start making the pita spread by adding mayonnaise, tomato sauce, mustard and a pinch of black pepper. Then mix well and spread evenly over the top surface of the pita.
10. Chop the chicken shawarma into smaller pieces and place them over the spread on the pita.. Finally drizzle some shredded carrots, sliced cucumbers and add more sauce spread on top. Roll the pita bread and close it with a toothpick.. Congratulations you made a perfect chicken shawarma, enjoy!
Cookware Needed For This Recipe
Ingredients For The Pita Bread
1 & 1/2 Cups Of Flour
1 & Tbsp Of Sugar
Yeast (1 Tbsp)
Salt (1 Tsp)
1/3 Cup Of Lukewarm Water
Oil (1 Tbsp)
Ingredients For The Chicken Shawarma Filling
Boneless Chicken (300g)
Chili Powder (1/2 Tsp)
Ginger (1/2 Tsp)
Crushed Garlic (1/2 Tsp)
Coriander (1/2 Tsp)
Salt (1 Tsp)
Black Pepper (1/4 Tsp)
Curd (1 Tsbp)
Thinly Sliced Cucumbers
Ingredients For The Pita Spread
1/4 Of Mayonnaise
Tomato Sauce (2Tbsp).
Mustard (1 Tsp)
Black Pepper (Pinch)
You May Also Like: The History Of Chicken Shawarma