If you are Greek you definitely know about this dish.. Cabbage stuffed rolls is a staple of traditional greek cuisine. It’s a great dish to serve as an appetizer.
How To Make These Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
1. Put the cabbage in a saucepan with water and let it boil until it softens. Then let it cool and take the leaves gently one by one and place them in a separate plate.
2. In a bowl, mix the minced meat, chopped onions, rice, parsley, dill, a little oil, salt and pepper. Fill the cabbage leaves one by one with the mix of the minced meat (1 – 1 ½ teaspoon) and wrap in rolls.
3. Always lay a cabbage leaf on the bottom of the pot and then put the stuffed cabbage (lachanontolmades) in the pot evenly. Add water, oil, salt, pepper then boil them, put them next to each other so they keep their shape.
4. Boil them in a low temperature for about 1 ½ hour. Once they are ready, prepare egg and lemon sauce by beating the eggs with the lemon (see egg and lemon recipe below). If you don’t want to use eggs, you can add only lemon juice or even tomato sauce.5. Beat 2 egg whites until fluffy and then add the egg yolks, while continuing to beat add the lemon juice. Slowly start adding a little of the broth to the egg mixture.
6. Add enough broth to make the egg mixture the same temperature as the broth, gradually raising the temperature in the egg mixture so that the food does not lump. Add the egg mixture to the food, stirring constantly. Let the food set for 15 minutes before served. Happy Meal!
- 1 medium cabbage
- 500 gr minced meat
- 2 cups Carolina rice
- 2 fresh onions
- 1 onion
- Olive oil
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Lemon