Bucatini pasta is a long noodle thicker than spaghetti with a small hole running through the center. You can buy bucatini pasta on Amazon or at your local Italian market (not every grocery store has them). Bucatini All’ Amatriciana is known in the great city of Amatrice in Italy.
Initially it was a dish of the peasant tradition but over time the Amatriciana recipe became a workhorse of Italian cuisine. The date of birth of this dish is not known, in fact their origin was lost over time.
Bucatini All’ Amatriciana Recipe (How To Video)
How To Make This Bucatini All’ Amatriciana Pasta Dish
1. To prepare the Amatriciana sauce start by cutting the guanciale bacon in strips and then cubes that are all the same and no thicker than 1cm (see pic). If you don’t have guanciale bacon use pancetta or non smoked regular bacon..
2. Put the bacon in a pan with a drizzle of olive oil and brown it for 7/8 minutes until the fat has melted and the meat is crunchy (stir frequently), when the fat has melted, blend the bacon with white wine, raise the flame or heat and let the wine evaporate.
3. In a bowl mix and squish the peeled tomatoes with your hands and put them in the same pan that you cooked the bacon and cook the tomato sauce for about 10/12 minutes.
4. While the tomato sauce is getting ready, bring water to a boil in a large pot and put the bucatini pasta in, stir the pasta with a ladle so that they do not stick together and let them cook for the cooking time indicated on the package. (do not turn off the heat while the spaghetti is cooking).
5. Now go back to the pan with the tomato sauce and add the salt to taste then add 1 fresh chili pepper and leave to cook for 4/5 minutes then remove the chili pepper.
6. Now add the bacon to the tomato sauce and mix everything. Drain the pasta in a colander and pour into the pan with the sauce. Mix with a tong and it’s ready to serve.
7. To complete the dish, sprinkle each portion with a generous quantity of pecorino or parmesan cheese.
Medium Size Non Stick Pan
Wood Spoon To Stir
420g Of Canned Peeled Tomatoes Crushed (Or Sliced Fresh Tomatoes in cubes).
Guanciale bacon 150 g (Can use pancetta, or non smoked bacon as an alternative).
80g of grated Pecorino Romano cheese or Parmesan
White Wine 50g
1 Fresh Chili Pepper
Extra virgin Olive Oil (as required)